It is quite possible to make a wooden door without using the expensive services of a craftsman. You can make a solid, rustic and complete door yourself if you know how to make a wooden door.
The steps to follow are simple, start by interlocking tongue and groove to glue floorboards together. Then, bolt a Z to hold it all together. We invite you to browse this article to learn the whole procedure.
The making of a door begins with the the frame
To do this, you need:
Use a square and draw the cutting line of the vertical jambs
How to make a wooden door?
– When you begin to build a wooden door, first take the measurements of its future location by putting one of the vertical posts.
– Then, draw the line and transfer it to the second vertical jamb.
– The plan of a wooden door is such that the horizontal jamb should measure according to the distance between the other 2 verticals.
Assemble the vertical jambs
– At the frame level, 2 fir bars with unequal sections make up a door. As vertical jambs, they will be nailed and glued together to create a rebate.
– To make a door, you must then start by gluing.
Fortify the result obtained by nailing
– You must gather the glued elements that make up your solid wood door that you have previously put on the workbench.
– Go through the reinforcement nailing.
Hole the wall where the jambs will be installed
– Place the wooden door jambs.
– Every 25 cm, drill the fixing holes and do the same in the wall material.
Use conventional dowels on the holes
– If your wall is made of brick, plug the holes with standard solid wall plugs.
Install the frame on the wall
– To finalize the first major step in making a wooden door, you must place male hinges on one of the jambs, straighten them, and then screw them in, making sure they are vertical with a spirit level.
The second part of making a wooden door is assembling the boards
Take measurements of the height and width of the door
Do it from the bottom of the rabbet, allowing 4 to 6 mm of play.
Join the floorboards
– Wooden doors are made from tongue and groove floorboards.
– If you join the floorboards with a smaller number of whole boards, after the Z is installed, you can complete the width with an additional board that you will cut in its length.
Hold the boards flat with clamps
– Take 2 wooden bars and put the panel obtained after starting to make the wooden door.
– Place 2 bars on top.
– Use clamps to secure the ends.
Use large opening clamps to keep the boards tight
– If you don’t have large opening clamps, use taut cords and a wooden wrench.
– The second major part of making a wood door is completed by giving the slats their intended lengths.
The third step in the plan to make a wooden front door or simple is the placement of the Z elements
Lay out the Z-bases on the door
– Whether you are making a large or small wooden door, it is wiser to use exotic wood bars to build the Z.
– Take the Z-bars and place them 40 cm from the bottom and top of the door.
Write the right-of-way for the crossbars on the panel of the small wooden door
– To successfully cut and position the rails, you must take into account the width of the rebate when installing the Z.
– Pencil in their right-of-way on the door slats.
Indicate the drilling points to execute the crossbar fastening
– Use clamps to lock each crossbar in its exact position.
– Every 10 cm, note the points.
Drill the holes previously marked
– Use a 6 x 50 mm diameter drill bit to make the holes in the crossbar.
– Make a countersink to delimit the entries for the bolts.
Make a countersink on the exit of the holes to allow the nuts to be embedded in the wood of the door
– Take a flat drill bit with a diameter equal to that of a pipe wrench. Then, countersink the holes on the other side of the door, respecting the thickness of the nuts to measure the depth.
Screw the nuts on the bolts
– You must put the nut after the washer.
– For this time, use a pipe wrench to tighten it. At the same time, in order to maintain the bolt on the other side, use a screwdriver.
Once the 2 crosspieces are in place, position the Z blank
– Be aware that the ends of the Z must stop at the right of the ones opposite the crosspieces.
Pencil in the cut of the ends of the scarf
– This is the last point of the third major step of how to make a wooden door. After tracing the ends, you can put the stile in place and follow the same procedure as with the crosspieces for drilling and bolting.
How to Make a Wooden Door: Additional operations
- Put marks on the edge of the door to know the place of the hinges.
- Cut out the marks with a chisel.
- Attach the hinges by screwing them on.
- Glue the groove of the last strip to give the door its exact width.
- Use a handsaw to cut the last board to length.
- Put the lock in place and embellish the exterior of the door by applying glaze on both sides.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it cheaper to make your own door?
Usually it is cheaper to purchase a ready-made door, but by learning the basics, you can develop your skills and create something unique .
Can you make a door out of plywood?
Plywood makes a durable door for a shed, storage building or utility locker. A sheet of 3/4-inch exterior-grade plywood cut to size and fitted with T-strap hinges bolted to the door is about all it takes. It’s also possible to use 1/2-inch plywood for more narrow doors, reports I Build It .
What is the best wood to make a door out of?
Mahogany is more durable, stronger, and more stable than its oak counterparts. It’s the best selling wood door material. Its straight grains are colored various shades of beautiful red. Its hardness makes it great for nearly any use as well as its ability to stain and take paint well .